Rhythm and Flow

"Bodies have rhythm, techniques have flow."

This concept is something that the we as upper ranking belts have been concentrating on for the past few weeks. Based on what we've discussed in class, here's what I understand the above statement to mean.

"Bodies have rhythm." We each have an inherent rhythm to how our body moves. In a sparring situation, this is a very important idea. When we find our rhythm, we cease the "stop and start" nature of sparring that is characteristic of the student who is learning how to spar. This brings us to flow.

"Techniques have flow." Basically, your techniques are an extension of your rhythm. Combined with timing, the setup of your techniques and transitions (note the plural at the end) become less forced and noticeable to your opponent. None of the "Pause, set up, then throw the technique." No. Rhythm and flow combine to blend all three into such a subtle movement that by the time you see it coming, you're already hit.

More on this topic as I learn more about it.

6 comments:

Ikigai said...

Nice post, these are very important concepts. I've noticed that really effective fighters have the ability to detect their opponent's rhythm, and at will can either match it or disrupt it.

Keep up the good work on your blog!

Best,
Matt

Ariel said...

Thanks for commenting! I eventually want to get to the point where I can do that too -- but first I have to work on finding my own rhythm. One baby step at a time.

Sue C said...

Hi Crimson - just found your blog, then realised from your blog list that you've been secretly reading mine all along!

It's nice to find a fellow brown belt to swap training notes with so I'm putting you on my blog list. Your blog looks very interesting.

Ariel said...

Hi, Sue -- thanks for adding me to your blog list!

I've been reading your blog for a little while, but I've only been lurking so far...

Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

Leonard Gates said...

Hello mate grreat blog post

Leonard Gates said...

Hi great reading yyour post