Spinning Reverse Crescent Kicks

Try saying that five times fast. If spinning reverse crescent kicks isn't a mouthful, I don't know what is.

I'm keeping this post short since I have an American Lit research essay due in a few days and I need to get back to working on that. Ah, research essays. Don't you love them?

Back to the kicks. As of this past Wednesday (Thursday night class was moved back to Wednesday for the occassion of Thanksgiving), I began learning the spinning reverse crescent kick. I first started practicing a reverse crescent, and then a regular crescent kick on a hanging heavy bag. Since I don't think I can do it justice trying to explain how the kick is thrown, I'm including a link that explains --> Crescent Kick

Later, we began working on the spin. I have to say that this is the most challenging kick that I've ever attempted and yet I am told that once I "get it," it's so very simple. If that's the case -- and I'm confident that it is -- I don't see how it could be true at this point in time. And this is all without having made it to the actual kick -- I'm still stuck on the spin. It's a full 360 degrees, but I don't find that the hardest part. I'm used to: a) starting the spin with the hips when kicking, and b) controlling my kicking leg throughout. This kick seems like the exact opposite. Not only does it begin by getting the shoulders all the way around, then the hips, but the kicking leg is almost limp, and as far as I understand, you don't control the kick the same way as you would say a front snap kick. The trick is all in the setup. The spin winds you up, and the release is when you unwind with the kick.

I'm still trying to figure this thing out. I'm sure it's going to take quite a bit of time, but I will update on my progress as I learn more.

Oh, and since I know that this blog is now known to at least two of my instructors, one of whom taught me this kick -- I have one last thing to say. Next time we work on the spinning reverse crescent kick, we have to use the homemade spin kick table again. =)

No comments: